Tuesday, September 2, 2008

first day of work...

...in a word, tragic! Well, maybe not quite that dramatic, I didn't get fired or anything, but it was an eventful first day at The Limited. Lets just begin with yesterday, when I was talking to my mom on the phone, and she said that she would be looking forward to hearing from me after my first day. My first day, was an 8 hour shift,  I haven't worked 8 hours...on my feet...in awhile. So she was anxious, she was telling me to be prepared, and have a snack, and have medicine if I needed it. I did all that, I think she told me to wear comfortable shoes, ya know, because I would be on my feet for 8 hours...if she did, I must have blocked her out, because I bought these really cute black pumps for work. I mean they don't have that huge of a heal, maybe 2 1/2, 3 in tops...I was really excited because they completed my look. I have to look nice, I work at The Limited. 
Yeah, I don't really wear high heels...really, ever. But I really convinced myself, that I could handle 8 hours in them, on my feet...I mean I really convinced myself. I also bought a pair of flats, but I just thought they weren't cute enough for my outfit. So, the heels it would be. I went to work at 9, and one girl asked if I brought a change of shoes, because I was going to be here all day...pshh, I could handle it, they were pretty comfortable...until about the 2nd hour. I kind of lost all feeling in my feet. Not only that, but I was nauseous, and started feeling lightheaded. I don't know if that happened because there was no blood flow to my feet...does that happen? I don't really know? But it was bad, I had to sit down in the back a few times. I'm pretty sure I was as white as a ghost. My manager, whom I met like 2 days ago, came up to me and was like..."Whoa, are you ok??? You do not look good!" So that's good. When I say it was bad...it was bad. For a little while, I thought I forgot how to walk. I could not put one foot in front of the other. I was on the verge of asking someone for some Dr. Scholl's, when I was told I could take my hour break! I really thought I might fall over at this point, I didn't know if I could walk anymore. SO, during my break I went to my apartment, and changed into my flats...even though they weren't as cute with the outfit...I really didn't care. All I cared about was walking like a 22 year old...not a 2 year old. But seriously, after I changed my shoes, I was no longer nauseous, or lightheaded...so I guess it was the shoes? I think I just had it in my head that I was Carrie Bradshaw...when in reality, I mean...I'm NOT Carrie Bradshaw, and I will never be Carrie Bradshaw. So that was my first day, the 2nd half...better than the first half. I think it will be good, I just have to remember to be myself, in my good 'ole mary janes! 
(Side note: I totally could've handled 8 hours SITTING in the heels!)
P.S. You should try Blue Bell ice cream- Snickerdoodle, its new, its unbelievable, and knowing that it was in my freezer when I got home, made the whole day OK! It turned my life upside down...maybe that's a little dramatic...again...but it is REALLY good! 
I am going to go to bed now, because I have another 8 hour day ahead of me tomorrow, don't worry, I'll be wearing flats. 

2 comments:

Gail HARNED said...

Oh my gosh, that was great! Ya know what I was thinking???? Remember how Karen told whoever she talked to regarding the reference call that you had great fashion sense???? Well i was thinking that unfortunately you have no "common sense!" Especially when it comes to shoes!! :) Oh well, hope day # 2 goes much better.
Love you, Mom

Bethany said...

well missy..i'm glad u learned your lesson..but ya i have def. gone through that a few times...kina sad that we will endure pain for the sake of looking cute... :)